R. Vaughan Massie, M.D.Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Fellowship Trained in Sports Medicine
R. Vaughan Massie, M.D.
About R. Vaughan Massie, M.D.
Dr. Vaughan Massie is a board certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in sports medicine. He currently serves as team physician for USC Aiken Athletics and several local high schools, and also participates in several sports himself as a hobby outside of practice. Dr. Massie believes in treating each and every patient the way he would want himself or a family member to be treated.
Dr. Massie obtained a B.S. in Biochemistry from Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. He also completed his medical degree, internship, and residency in Memphis. He received his medical degree with Highest Honors at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, where he was ranked 6th in his class. Dr. Massie’s surgical internship was at Methodist Hospital in Memphis, and his residency was at the world-renowned Campbell Clinic-University of Tennessee, where he was Chief Resident. He then went on to complete a sports medicine fellowship at the Hughston Clinic in Columbus, GA. Dr. Massie’s fellowship research, “Arthroscopic Bursectomy for Recalcitrant Trochanteric Bursitis,” was published in 2007.
Dr. Massie currently serves as the Team Physician for USC Aiken Athletics and multiple local high schools, including Aiken HS, South Aiken HS, and Silver Bluff HS. Outside of his practice, he enjoys spending time with his wonderful wife, son, daughter, and dog. His hobbies include golf, court tennis, racquetball, running, weight-lifting, tennis, basketball, traveling, movies, and music.
- Undergraduate: B.S. in Biochemistry - Rhodes College, Memphis, TN
- Medical Degree: University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis, TN
- Surgical Internship: Methodist Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Residency: Campbell Clinic - University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Hughston Clinic, Columbus, GA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Southern Orthopaedic Society (SOA)
- South Carolina Medical Association (SCMA)
- South Carolina Orthopaedic Association (SCOA)
- Campbell Club
- Hughston Society - Membership Cmte, Executive Cmte Southeastern Fracture Consortium (SEFC)
- Society for Golf Medicine and Performance - Charter member